Thursday, July 21, 2011

LRB Personals

So I'm out of fiction for this trip (gasp!); I don't really know what happened, but my packing skills are hit and miss, to say the least. That and overused.

Anyway, I was feeling super sad about this, but stumbled on the London Review of Books personals sections. How had I never known about this before? Better than fiction!

Here you go:

Body of Joan, brains of Peggy. F, 24, London, seeks equally confused Roger/Pete cross.

Decadent ageing London woman seeks plainish man.

(Editor's note: Add an age! You're never going to get a response with that ad--for crying outloud, you could be 100.)

London philosopher, 53, seeks lady of leisure, aged around L to LX, for lazy lounging.

Female, 50, fit and active, lively, seeks fit and active male who reads, thinks, and notices stuff. SE Wales.

London lawyer seeks feminine counterpart with a love of Italy and travel for lifelong adventures. ... YOU will be: warm, relationship-minded, open, with an optimistic sunny personality, romantic, very feminine, FUN but sensible when needed, open to marriage and a family. Perhaps a brunette, slim, 5'6"+, 30-40, with an adventurous spirit, yet homely and family orientated. Certainly not a cool, academic, career type. (Editor's note: Whoa!!! I get that you have very specific, paradox-filled ideas of what you're looking for in a woman, but really, no need to insult academic, career types! Also: this ad screams a man hurt from lots of bad past relationships. Also: OH MY GOODNESS! Does "homely" mean something different in the UK than it does in the US? Or does he want an ugly woman? )

All that to say, if all else fails, I know where I'll be posting my personals ad! Of course, it will probably just say Jimmy McNulty: I'm your Beadie Russell. Of course, I'm actually stuck in the 4th season and in Wikipediaing the spelling of "Beadie," I just discovered that that might not be the cleverist tact.

4 comments:

Frankincense said...

"...fit and active male who reads, thinks, and notices stuff."

This is actually a great description. Genius in its vagueness. Noticing stuff is so important!

The poor London lawyer just needs somebody who won't make him feel inadequate. He doesn't strike me as very smart.

hopkins said...

he sounds short to me.

this is brilliant. i shall never be bored again.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid the LRB personals are all written in-house by their staff. Sorry!

Emily Hale said...

Who is this?! I disagree! And so does the internet.