Friday, July 15, 2011

Of Gods and Men

Goodness--I took too long to write about this and that means it's a little foggy in my memory already. So we watched a bootlegged version of this off the internet, which was ironic, to say the least (it was the period in which it was neither in theaters nor out on dvd).

The film is incredibly moving--it follows a small group of Trappist monks in Algeria who must decide whether they will stay in their community or will leave when the area becomes unstable, due to fundamentalist terrorism.

I didn't love the way that the story was told--it begins with a bunch of little examples all plastered together of the way that the monks interact with their village. These vignettes show their service and connection to the village. I don't really like not knowing what's going on, so I felt like I was asking more questions than usual (and I usually ask a lot of questions). This is just one example of the minimalism and subtlety of the film--it was largely a quiet film (with a couple of exceptions), full of conversations. On the positive side, this subtlety meant that much of the story was conveyed through the actions of the monks and the liturgy that they participate in (we even get to hear some of their lunch readings).

There are a couple of particularly striking scenes: In one the monks gather joyfully, on the verge of laughter to drink a glass of wine together; within moments, however, the mood becomes sober as they realize that their lives are very vulnerable. It's a sort of Last Supper scene. I was confused in the middle of it because of the massive change that happens in just a couple of seconds. The end of the film, in which the men walk off into the snow is also striking, possibly because it's such a contrast with the low light of the rest of the film (or perhaps it was just my bootlegged copy that was dark).

The film did a great job of separating Islam from Islamic fundamentalism--the monks' relationship with the religious people in their community was quite good. There was also a democratic theme to the film: the community contests its elected leader's attempt to decide whether they stay or go. Rather, the monks want to decide together. In the end, even those who didn't want to stay decide to. How powerful it is that each man comes to the decision himself. In addition, there is a conversation between one of the priests and one of the girls in the town about falling in love--the monk values falling in love over arranged marriages.

The film ends with this letter written by one of the brothers:

"Should it ever befall me, and it could happen today, to be a victim of the terrorism swallowing up all foreigners here, I would like my community, my church, my family, to remember that my life was given to God and to this country. That the Unique Master of all life was no stranger to this brutal departure. And that my death is the same as so many other violent ones, consigned to the apathy of oblivion. I've lived enough to know, I am complicit in the evil that, alas, prevails over the world and the evil that will smite me blindly.

I could never desire such a death. I could never feel gladdened that these people I love be accused randomly of my murder. I know the contempt felt for the people here, indiscriminately. And I know how Islam is distorted by a certain Islamism.

This country, and Islam, for me are something different. They're a body and a soul.

My death, of course, will quickly vindicate those who call me naïve or idealistic, but they must know that I will be freed of a burning curiosity and, God willing, will immerse my gaze in the Father's and contemplate with him his children of Islam as he sees them. This thank you which encompasses my entire life includes you, of course, friends of yesterday and today, and you too, friend of last minute, who knew not what you were doing. Yes, to you as well I address this thank you and this farewell which you envisaged. May we meet again, happy thieves in Paradise, if it pleases God the Father of us both. Amen. Insha'Allah."

What humility!--"happy thieves in Paradise." And "friend of last minute" definitely makes me cry!


(picture)

No comments: