Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rant

I was a discussant at the conference the other week for a paper on Vertigo. The paper was incredibly interesting and insightful; however, I also had serious substantive disagreement with the author, which I articulated in my comments. Afterward, the author and I had a discussion of his paper in which he claimed that he did not care about the meaning of the film (or implicitly, whether I'd better captured the film's meaning or whether he had). He said he did not care about the film's meaning because he was doing critical theory (I think the literary kind as opposed to the political theory kind, although I'm not sure). I was baffled, I mean really baffled by this. As someone who studies the history of political thought, I work with texts. There are debates over which sorts of texts one should consider and how you relate those texts to contemporary issues. However, we all agree (as far as I know) that there are texts and that those texts have meanings and that we're concerned, first, with correctly understanding the meanings of those texts. Now, of course, this is complicated by a film, which is a production that involves lots of different people. But still!: there's a director and a screenplay. There's a starting point that appears to me to have a meaning. And so I was incredibly baffled by this idea that that meaning doesn't matter. If that is the case, then I'm confused as to why critical theory wants to work with texts at all. Why not discard them entirely?

3 comments:

Wendell said...

You should read Joesph Epstein's recent WSJ article, "What Killed American Lit." It points out the problems with contemporary literary criticism rather sharply (e.g. "...English departments have tended to become intellectual nursing homes where old ideas go to die").

Mrs. Wendell says that, sadly, literary criticism is more about deriving meaning from texts than about understanding a text. She also says, "English is in a bad way..."

This all reminds me of the Basic Instructions comic explaining how to analyze classic literature.

Emily Hale said...

Wendell! I didn't read you still followed this blog! Yay! And congrats to you and Mrs. Wendell! I know--I was originally looking at grad school in English, but I couldn't find any schools that I liked.

That comic is hilarious!

That article is interesting, too--thanks for passing that along.

hopkins said...

this is exactly why i didn't go to grad school in english.