Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Philadelphia Club

I went to an alumni meeting of one of the places across the pond at the Philadelphia Club the other night. Boy, that was an experience in social observation at so many levels.

First of all, the Philadelphia Club itself. No women members are aloud. Supposedly in the first 119 years of the clubs existence, women were only even allowed inside on three occasions. Frankly, I'm surprised that there was even a woman's restroom. Also, I'm not 100 percent sure how I feel about being part of an event held at a place like that. Although, Stearns will be happy to know, there was a huge globe on a stand in one corner of the library (she's obsessed with globes on stands).

When I first came in and met one of the club's members, upon telling him where I live in Philadelphia (it's quite a swanky part), he preceded to tell me about his Quaker ancestors who were from that part of town as if I'd heard of the names of his Quaker ancestors.

Also when I first came in, one of the women who greeted us allowed me to not wear my nametag, which I was happy about (since I hate them). She joked that I could even tell everyone that I'm Kate Middleton if I liked, since there's some resemblance. Well, that could not have made me happier (since I love her). Anyway, I was thrilled for much of the evening until Francisco brought me back to earth by pointing out that the woman who said that was in development.

The evening's speaker was David Starkey, who, as I understand it, is a British popular historian. He spoke about Henry VIII and was repeatedly shocking. He maintained that Henry VIII got divorced so much because he really believed in love and marriage (he didn't just want to have mistresses on the side). I know very little about history, but I thought it was all about getting heirs on the throne. Starkey did little more than assert the opposite. He maintained that Henry III was actually showing his wives to be independent people by executing them (previously women hadn't been executed for treason). All that to say, I was unpersuaded by his argument.

In addition, he was overflowing with (I hope hyperbolic) praise for the place across the pond. Starkey maintained that everything important happened at that university, that the Reformation happened at that university.


(picture, picture)

1 comment:

d said...

I like the word "swanky", especially in reference to you.