Monday, November 7, 2011

John Adams

In the list of things that have been recommended for ages and I finally just got around to watching (namely because the whole house is watching it together) is John Adams, the miniseries (well, we're only half way through).

Initial responses: A) There are no cute boys in this! Possibly it's just that wigs don't do it for me. B) Watching that tar and feathering was traumatic. I always thought of tar and featherings were funny before; it hadn't occurred to me that the tar was hot. Did these people even survive? Other traumatic things include bloodletting, small pox, and cutting off a guy's leg (I didn't actually watch that one). Which is to say, it's rather graphic. C) I cannot stand the Abigail actress. I just remember her from Love Actually as the guilt-ridden girl who can't make up her mind. And I don't like how she looks. She sometimes has a British accent, but mostly it's American. The last time I heard an accent this bad was Jack Donaghy's red haired love interest from Boston in 30 Rock. D) Some of the historical happenings are almost funny in the way they're portrayed. For instance, when Ben Franklin admires a swiveling chair that Thomas Jefferson invented. I think it's hard to dramatize such well-known historical things in a way that doesn't look funny. E) I think it could be better done--there's some clearly computer generated stuff and green screens or blue screens or something.


(picture)

No comments: