Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mad Men

I'm watching Mad Men. This is my first time straight through, although I'd watched several episodes before. It makes tons more sense watching straight through. My overall opinion of the show is similar, although now includes more respect for the quality of the show: It's awkward and uncomfortable to watch it, even if it accurately portrays the sexual and racial politics of the day. And I think you have to be really sensitive even when portraying things that actually happened. And the Mad Men portrayals of really bad behavior are sometimes too titillating to be really sensitive (for example, one time Don uses an overt expression of sexual power to convince Bobby Barrett to do what he wants). Also, there really aren't a lot of happy people in Mad Men (I can't think of any), at least in the first two seasons. I guess that Peggy is the closest to being a happy person.

Plus, all during season 2, I kept screaming at the laptop--"Don! She just wants you to tell her that you love her!" (Well, and she probably also actually wants you to love her.) But he ignored me (well, until the very end of the season).

I'm not sure I've ever seen flashbacks done well. They're an important part of telling Don's story, but they just always look like a poorly done period piece to me.

What I like about Mad Men: It is subtle, showing the good and bad sides of all of the characters (even maybe slightly of Betty, or at least it shows the way in which she was wronged and mistreated). The show makes the characters sympathetic, even when they're jerks. Betty still creeps me out, though. I mean, I get liking it when people think you're attractive, but she even likes it from small children. Creep-y!

Also: the intro and ending are fabulous. The music and pictures at the beginning are delightful and intriguing. And the song during the credits is always just perfect.


(picture, picture)

No comments: