Friday, January 20, 2012

Stories

Guys! Today I was frantically trying on teaching outfits because I have no suitemates at the moment (some new ones will arrive in a couple of days). Sequins and Cardigan left me alone in this giant house (the two of them had been my reliable fashion advise and extra closet, when needed). If there's one thing I've learned in life, it is that I need help picking out clothes. In college, I relied on Salinger. I don't remember what I wore in Waco (I think I blocked that time out of my memory). In DC, I relied on Myrrh and Gold and Frankincense. I have been known to skype Ilana when the going gets really tough. Today, after half of my dresser was scattered across my bed, I grabbed my yellow cardigan and headed out to teach a subject about which I know precious little, Medieval Philosophy.

There were two things that I noticed in the bathroom when I arrived on campus: a) I'd gotten some dollops of lotion on the front of my black shirt; b) there were large blue marbled stains all over my yellow cardigan. The only good thing about these stains is that they weren't too dark. But the fact that they were light just made it look like my cardigan was very, very dirty. But, as I do with everything that I think is awkward, I pretended that the spots weren't there. I put on my best I-known-exactly-what-I'm talking-about face and I taught Medieval Philosophy for an hour.

Mama Leopard, after I told her this story: "I bet the students had a good time laughing."

Also: I love bread. And I think it's super healthy because it's a very basic food and because Romanians eat a lot of bread and tomatoes and cheese and they seem healthy (can I hear an amen, Gypsy?). You know, bread isn't red meat; it isn't fried, it isn't a sweet. It's just bread, and it's good for you. Francisco and I have an ongoing debate over whether my analysis of bread's nutritional qualities is accurate (he says no). Hopkins recently brilliantly resolved our debate for us.

Hopkins: "He thinks bread is bad for you because he's from California. You think bread is good for you because you're German."

3 comments:

hopkins said...

and i eat bread with guilt because i am a german californian

Sylvia said...

I'm with you--bread is good!

Gypsy said...

Amen! But I am also German. How did I miss this post??!