Friday, February 3, 2012

Class

This semester, I'm adjuncting one class at a private school in the Philadelphia area. Today I showed up to class only to find several students congregated outside of a locked classroom door. Their immediate reaction was to all grab for their phones to call for security to come unlock the door. That was surprising to me--all of them have campus security's number programmed into their phones. But after we called security, one of the late-arriving girls offered to crawl through the window. She said that she has to do this regularly when looking for an on-campus room to study after hours. And, even stranger, I noticed that one of my students, who is intending to become a pastor, had pulled out his wallet-sized lock-picking kit and was attempting to pick the lock.

2 comments:

Sr. Margarita Aloysius said...

Sr. MA definitely picked a lock or two in her nun days. If you only knew...

Emily Hale said...

This is clearly an ignorance that we need to remedy!