Thursday, February 23, 2012

Nothing's Real But Love


One of the great delights of my life is really sunny days (especially unseasonably sunny ones)--driving down the road a little too fast, listening to some bubble-gum pop, and smoking a cigarette (pretend you didn't read that). (Francisco says I'm a valley girl at heart.) To put icing on the cake, this morning I passed a whole little field full of crocuses, just at the end of my driveway! It made me feel how Wordsworth felt when he came upon the daffodils.


As I was driving to school the other day, a song came on the radio with the refrain, "Nothing's real but love." I like that turn of phrase. Augustine would have loved it, too, I think (although I'm sure that he and Rebecca Ferguson have very different ideas about what love is, exactly).

1 comment:

hopkins said...

these are so beautiful. i remember my first spring in DE--I finally understood what wordsworth was talking about. we just don't have daffodils like that (or any bulbs, really) in CA.