Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Random Assortment


(Anyone know what kind of flowers these are? I've never seen them before. I need a smart phone (a of all) and then a smart phone app that looks at the flowers and tells me what they are (b of all), like that music app does.)

~ "The Rare," a portrait series of rare disabilities in China, in the hopes of alleviating discrimination against people with disabilities, and in hopes of raising awareness of the need of providing people with disabilities care, including medical care.

This reminds me of the invaluable work done by Kelle Hampton at Enjoying the Small Things, her blog of photographs and reflections on loving and mothering her two daughters, one of which has Down Syndrome. Kelle's goal in life is to celebrate and love her daughters, and to encourage a world in which both of her daughters can be loved and appreciated. I can't think of a better response to disability myself. I think that Kelle's work of simply photographing and reflecting on life with her daughters is incredibly important given that in the United States around 90 percent of children with Down Syndrome are aborted. Because children with Down Syndrome are becoming rare, many doctors who are advising parents after the results of genetic testing have little or no experience with Down Syndrome. Kelle's celebration of the life of her daughter and of other children with Down Syndrome and her tracking the milestones that her daughter reaches, whether it be smiling or walking, reminds us of the humanity of those with Down Syndrome, a humanity that we attempt to deny through abortion.

~ "Connie Bronson," an early short story by Marilynne Robinson that foreshadows Housekeeping (mentioned in this Paris Review interview--ht/ Edge).

~ Hopkins: "And now food bloggers are talking about iceberg. You are a trendsetter." Read it for yourself. (Although hot sauce on salad?!)

~ Academic Coach Taylor has some advice for you. A perfect mix of Friday Night Lights and academia and feminism (okay, not exactly my kind of feminism, but still funny). 

~ On the philosophical novel. I don't think that this piece is that good, but it's a fascinating topic, and she hits on some interesting things along the way.

2 comments:

Myrrh said...

I don't know what those flowers are called, but I do know that if you gently wrap your hand around one of the little strings of blossoms and pull down, they all fall off into your hand. You can then throw them at your brother in a most satisfying way.

Emily Hale said...

Now I know what to do next time I see them!