Saturday, June 23, 2012

Guest Post: June in Pennsylvania

My favorite month is June. Maybe because it's my birthday month, but maybe because it's the best month. First the strawberries arrive and then the lightning bugs come out and the daylight keeps lasting longer and then the day lilies bloom. And, best of all and toward the end of the month, the black raspberry bushes turn up in the same spots as last year.

I ate all the black raspberries:


I went blueberry picking with my mom (blueberries came early here). I'm catching up to her--this year, she picked 6 and 3/4 pounds and I picked 6 and 1/4 pounds (I still have trouble abiding by the "two in the bucket, one in the mouth" rule). But my bucket still had significantly more green berries and stems in it than hers did.





Also, June includes many family picnics (in honor of Father's Day, birthdays, Flag Day). And family picnics include cousins. This cousin is at the Best Age. It occurs after walking and before talking (and he still lets you hold him if he's in a contemplative mood!).


If you're still not convinced that June is the best month: they say ice cream tastes best in June. And I agree.

No comments: