Friday, July 13, 2012

A Random Assortment


~ I always dreamed that we'd be able to see more, new colors in heaven. Here's the way fiction has described impossible colors.

~ "22 Fascinating and Bizarre Classes Offered This Semester"--some look like a waste of time, although #6 Fly Fishing sounds blissful to me. And I wish that I'd written #11 from Georgetown, Philosophy and The Wire. (HT: Ilana) 

~ This Northern Virginia woman founded a non-profit that purchases homes to rent to people with mental illness. What a wonderful example of local initiative to meet the needs of the community in a way that the government struggles to do. 

~ PAL, brilliant, as always

 "So I realize I've been pretty short on pop cultural commentary lately.  It's not that I haven't seen the new Wes Anderson movie and don't have opinions about it.  I'm just not sure yet whether it's mainly edifying and encouraging--a testimony to the America of 1965, just before everything got unhinged and screwed up--or a self-indulgent fantasy for rich and pseudo-sophisticated white people.  I'm talking about the type of people (like me) who get suckered time and again by the mixture of kindness and suffering that IS Bill Murray's face.  I just saw Lost in Translation again, and it sort of hit me that there's very little to that admittedly very touching and artsy movie beyond Bill's face.  The movie's big joke:  What's lost in translation is Bill's face.  The Japanese don't get it.  It does nothing for them."
Ain't that the truth! I love Bill Murray's face. 

The whole piece, about The Andy Griffith Show, is more evidence for what I've long suspected: PAL out front-porches the front porchers.

1 comment:

hopkins said...

he does! it's true!