Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Downtown Williamsport


What is now the Park Home used to be the hotel beside the train station in Williamsport's glory days. At some point it was a nursing home; hence, the name. Now it's an office building. In front of the Park Home, there's a large yard. It looks out on this church:


And this is part of an enormous building just across the street. I think it's vintage Williamsport lumber boom architecture. Not much is left from when the street cars roamed wild, but this building is in all of the old pictures:


I noticed a hair shop (some wigs in the window) and a bar in this building; I don't know what's upstairs, but I think that there are at least some apartments.

I don't think that there are many, if any, small towns in America (Williamsport has about 30,000 people) with such lovely architectural remains.

No comments: