Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Richard Diebenkorn

Hopkins and I went to see Richard Diebenkorn: The Ocean Park Series at the Corcoran. The Ocean Park series is inspired by Diebenkorn's Southern California neighborhood, both from ariel views and from looking out his window (how localist!).


I don't know too much about modern art, but I love it, probably mostly to be contrarian. I almost inevitably find modern art at least intriguing, if not incredibly beautiful.


Diebenkorn's painting was unlike anything I've ever seen. You might think it's big blocks of color like Rothko, but the focus of Diebenkorn's work is on the texture in the color, and the layers of colors. The paintings are a palimpsest: they contain traces of colors Diembenkorn used first and lines he drew at earlier stages of the composition. The faint lines both hint at the process of the work and contribute to the finished whole.


Some of the 180 paintings that comprise the Ocean Park series are small paintings on cigar box lids--Diebenkorn painted over the brightly colored tops, letting little snatches of their design peak through. I love it.

Also: go on Saturdays! The Corcoran is free this summer on Saturdays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I encountered and came to know Richard Deibenkorn when he was a visiting instructor in a summer painting class at SFAI. He was as marvelous a man as are his paintings [and don't forget his drawings!] are marvelous. Never could you encounter a man more comfortable in his own skin nor pleased with, even enamored by, his 'work', or his 'job', as he called his art.

Mr. Richard truly loved to paint and draw, or do anything that had relevance to art, as most all of us are, but he was particularly in love with it.

I have been a professional painter [if there exists such an animal] for going on 50 years now and I carry his teaching still, and use it every day. [Painters are notorious thieves, but we steal, usually, with love. Sometimes we even leave little love notes behind.]

I will leave you with two quotes direct from Mr. Richard that are on my studio wall. [No, seriously, they are painted on the wall.].....

"...a way is the last thing that I want. With each new painting I find the way all too soon. And that is when the trouble starts."

And my personal favorite .....

"....shut up and paint, goddamit !!"

I look at those every day, and silently thank the gods, or the caretaker, or whomever is in charge of this amusement park, for sending such a one as Richard Deibenkorn, and in particular for sending him to cross MY path.

David Martin, Oakland

Emily Hale said...

Thank you for sharing!