Sunday, July 15, 2012

So, the first reading at mass today:

Amos 7:12-15

Amaziah, priest of Bethel, said to Amos,
"Off with you, visionary, flee to the land of Judah!
There earn your bread by prophesying,
but never again prophesy in Bethel;
for it is the king's sanctuary and a royal temple."
Amos answered Amaziah, "I was no prophet,
nor have I belonged to a company of prophets;
I was a shepherd and a dresser of sycamores.
The LORD took me from following the flock, and said to me,
Go, prophesy to my people Israel."

The problem is, the girl who was reading pronounced "Amos" (which I say, A-mis) as "Ah-moss" or something like that. And she pronounced "prophesy" as "prophecy" and "prophesying" as "prophecying."

The weird thing is someone got up after mass to give the announcements and they, too, talked about Ah-moss prophecying!

3 comments:

Stearns said...

Our reader pronounced 'prophesy' as 'prophecy' too! I understand mixing them up on paper but not, not aloud. For heaven's sake.

E. Walker said...

guys don't be too mean, maybe these readers didn't have a whole page in their Bob Jones Spelling 4 books devoted to explaining the differences between the two words.

Diana said...

Bob Jones aside, shouldn't the "c" be a very important clue?? This is one example where the English language actually makes sense.