Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Random Assortment


(Picture left over from crabbing: this great lamp is at the end of Whigwam's pier.)

~ This ranking of "Generosity in America's Cities" sort of makes me want to move to the South (or become a Mormon). Although, really, I think I've already done my time there (in the South, not as a Mormon).

~ I knew Leo, the security guard who was shot at the FRC last week. He is a very friendly and funny guy and the CNN report captures that self-deprecating sense of humor. I'm very happy to hear that he's home from the hospital. (Weird that the shooter had 15 Chick-fil-a sandwiches in his backpack.)

~ I find the question of whether certain types of rape decrease the chances of conception to be utterly irrelevant to whether abortion is morally acceptable or not. This description of the way in which pregnancy is prevented in the victims of rape (from a PA representative in 1988) is the most fantastic:

The odds that a woman who is raped will get pregnant are "one in millions and millions and millions," said state Rep. Stephen Freind, R-Delaware County, the Legislature's leading abortion foe.
The reason, Freind said, is that the traumatic experience of rape causes a woman to "secrete a certain secretion" that tends to kill sperm.
(via Coates)

No comments: