Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sayers Comes to St. Louis


Sayers came to St. Louis this weekend just because! What a wonderful weekend. In between talking non-stop about boys, babies, work, college, friends, family, etc., we managed to see a bit of St. Louis.


The weather cooperated, which is to say, we did a lot of our eating and drinking outdoors, starting with Sasha's, a local wine bar, just after she arrived and recovered from her flight with some non-olive oil brownies (Did I tell you about the olive oil brownies I made for my birthday? I didn't have any canola oil, so I just added olive oil instead. I thought it would be a perfect replacement. However, when I started eating the batter, the real perk of baking, I realized that it tasted awful--exactly like olives! I did a bit of googling, saw that other people had done this before me and that some even recommended it as a healthier alternative. So I baked the brownies anyway. They turned out fine, although I don't know that I'd do it on purpose in the future. My 12-year-old reviewer said that they were okay as long as there was enough ice cream to cover up the taste.)


Sayers and I headed to Soulard Farmers market first thing in the morning. Sayers enjoyed Julia's' award-winning Bloody Marys (complete with celery and asparagus). I stuck with the pomegranate margarita, but I tasted hers and it was spic-y. There was a nice bluegrass band to enjoy with the drink.









This little boy offered to be in a picture. Afterward he asked if I was a newscaster--the new camera lens is clearly fooling people already! (Notice the littler boy behind him.)


The farmers market is great--lots of people and produce, but you just have to watch out a bit--the asparagus that I bought went bad before I got it home!

No comments: