Saturday, December 22, 2012

Quote

"'I wasn't expecting them,' she said, 'that's all. You see, I have no nurse for my baby just now, and I have to look after him myself. And also, I have to learn my part for a new film. And then, you know, I don't as a rule entertain in this sort of way, I ...' She trailed off when she realised that Kurt was looking at her with cynical intentness. She realised she had made too many excuses for wanting to get rid of the crowd. An old and famous actress had once given her the following advice: 'If you must make any excuse make one only. More than one sounds false. None at all is best. It's generally foolish to make excuses and give reasons. Never try to explain yourself to others, it leads to confusion. Avoid psychiatrists." Annabel had stored up every word, but sometimes she forgot to apply them."

--The Public Image, Muriel Spark

The Public Image traces an intricate game of making and breaking each others' public images played by a husband and wife in life and death.

No comments: