Sunday, March 24, 2013

The New Pope

This is the first time that I've been through a papal transition as a Catholic (which is to say, the first time I've paid attention). What struck me most about this process was the sense of absence and presence. 

Even though Benedict resigned and informed people in advance about his intention to resign, there was still a period in which we didn't have a pope.

It reminded me of what we remember during lent and especially during Holy Week and most especially on Good Friday--the absence of Christ. Except this was the absence of the shepherd Christ put over us to feed us and strengthen us (as Christ said to Peter).

Of course, we experienced the absence of the pope in the same way we remember Christ's absence during lent--in light of Christ's promise that He will not leave us comfortless and in light of the fact that the Holy Spirit is with us.

But still, after remembering Christ's death, and the darkness over all the land and Jesus crying out, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?," it's always a relief and a surprise and a celebration to then focus on His resurrection.

That's how I felt when I got my automated text message about the white smoke and Francisco's texts about who the new pope is (all as I was stuck in the metro): We have a pope! It felt a bit like Eastern morning.

No comments: