Monday, May 6, 2013

NYC: Four Freedoms Memorial



I think that this memorial opened last fall. It was designed by Louis Kahn in the 70s and was one of his last works--he died in 74. It was just now finally built.


(You can just see the small pox hospital below the bridge.)




The memorial is a bit futuristic at places--the built environment seeks to shape and contain the natural one outside. (I really don't know what that strip of black is doing on the photo above--I think it's an addition by this silly Chromebook, which really is hard to manage sometimes.)



Wikipedia says, 

"In a 1973 lecture at Pratt Institute, Kahn said:
I had this thought that a memorial should be a room and a garden. That's all I had. Why did I want a room and a garden? I just chose it to be the point of departure. The garden is somehow a personal nature, a personal kind of control of nature. And the room was the beginning of architecture. I had this sense, you see, and the room wasn't just architecture, but was an extension of self."





The hovering bust of FDR makes me think of the Wizard of Oz.

There are some great views of the city from the memorial:



No comments: