Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Random Assortment

~ PAL cleverly extends the MOOC model to college administration:

If we’re going to have the MOOC to cut costs, why not the MOOA--massive open online administrations--too? Instructional costs have going up--doubtless in part because of underworked and incompetent professors. But growth in size of administrations far exceeds that in size of faculties. And don’t get me started on administrative compensation!
~ "Some Realms I Owned: Elizabeth Bishop in Manhattan"--a travel essay about Bishop, New York, and Brazil (via Hopkins).

~ Delightful and hilarious: Coffitivity: ambient sounds designed to increase productivity. It captures what I long for, but is difficult to ensure in a coffee shop--noise, including from voices, that is not quite loud enough to distinguish what they're saying (it drives me nuts to actually overhear the details of peoples' lives).

~ Political science (especially theory-friendly) journal rankings. Ok, so, I realize that this won't be of uber-wide interest to my readers, but this is a way for me to bookmark stuff I want to come back to.

~ Ditto this: a name change checklist (via Gold at Like Mother, Like Daughter). I had no idea that changing your name is this hard--logistically and psychologically. I will definitely walk all the way down the aisle at my wedding, but I may not be able to go through with this name changing business. Also: 75 dollar to change your name on your passport! When I just bought a new one a year and a half ago!

~ New idea for wedding reception entertainment. I love it! Kudos to Fr. O.P. for creative evangelization (via Hopkins).

No comments: