Sunday, September 1, 2013

Chicago, Harold Washington Library



I'd never noticed this building before and I really like it, with its eclectic mix of styles and its reinterpretation of classical architecture.


(Moon, top left)

I especially love the decorations on the pediment--the contrast between the aluminum material and the organic matter depicted, as well as the outlandish size, are just great.

Wikipedia says it's the largest public library building in the world. And, from the pictures that I googled, I really wish I'd gone inside.

2 comments:

Sonetka said...

It's better that you didn't -- the inside is an appalling disappointment. I haven't been there for more than ten years but had to go there often in high school -- I remember about ten or twelve storeys, very low-ceilinged with artificial lights blazing, and the most confusing layout possible. I got used to taking one trip just to figure out where the stuff I needed was and then another trip to actually borrow/copy/sort through it. I do hope they've improved it since, but hearing about the library still makes me shudder. Which is too bad, because the building is gorgeous and deserves a better interior.

Emily Hale said...

Oh no--that's terrible! I think that there's an atrium on the top or something? That's what pictures looked pretty to me: http://plantvines.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/atrium_9th-floor.jpg