Thursday, August 1, 2013

Slovakia and Marriage

From the archives of this blog, after a trip to Slovakia:

But really, my favorite part of St. James in Levoca is the pew of the White Lady of Levoca. The story is that the White Lady of Levoca was remarkably beautiful. She would arrive late each week at mass and walk to her special, carved pew in the front of the church. She would distract all of the men. After a while of this, they moved her to the back of the church, behind a pillar, where no one could see her and she would be less of a distraction. The story is that if a young unmarried woman sits in that pew, she will be married in a year and a day.

What I didn't write in that post is that I visited this church twice. The first time, quite a few years ago, I refused to sit in the pew, because I wasn't interested in getting married in a year and a day. The second time, maybe three years ago, I was interested in getting married, and I was in a relationship, so I thought it appropriate to sit in the pew. The funny thing is, I married the man who took my picture while I was sitting in the pew.

1 comment:

Myrrh said...

Awww...