Saturday, November 16, 2013

12 Years a Slave


Worst date movie ever. (I picked it, so we can't blame Francisco.)

Also at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute, and coming out to good reviews, I was curious to see 12 Years a Slave. Based on Solomon Northup's autobiography of being tricked and kidnapped and sold into slavery for 12 years, before being rightfully released to his freedom and family in the North, the film is well made, but slow moving--it's 2 hours and 15 minutes, and it's painful to be so deeply acquainted with such injustice. The shots are lovely--really tight closeups of faces and lingering shots of nature--but they contribute to the film's speed (or lack thereof).

2 comments:

Sonetka said...

I haven't seen it yet, so for now I'm still holding out for Breaking The Waves as the Worst Date Movie Ever. (It's the kind of thing that happens when a teenage girl wants to look Really Sophisticated by suggesting the arthouse movie). Though anything by von Trier would make the running, I think!

Emily Hale said...

Oh wow--I've never seen it, but just looked it up at IMDB. Did you see it on a date?!