Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Yuengling Brewery



On Christmas vacation, my siblings and cousin and husband and I went to Pottsville to visit America's oldest brewery.


The bottling and canning room was very cool--you could see the cans flying by on conveyor belts as they were filled and pasteurized.

The tours were given with loads of spirit--praising beer and Yuengling in particular.


What I liked best was the stained glass ceiling put in to keep the sun from glaring off the shining pots.


And the murals on the walls below.

There were also cool hand-dug caves below to store the fermenting beer, complete with remnants of brick walls put up by the federal government during Prohibition.

The brewery, which, when it was built was on the far outskirts of town, was evidently built quite close to the only other thing that was out there at the time--a Catholic church.


Sadly, I forgot my camera, so we made do with Francisco's phone for pictures.

No comments: