Monday, January 22, 2018

Parenthood.27

When Francisco and I talk about Plato, Chester thinks we're talking about play-dough. (And gets very excited.)

This morning when Chester arrived at preschool one little girl said to another, "Look, it's Chester." The second little girl turned around and opened her arms and have him a big hug. Then the next girl opened her arms. Then a little boy. Then the last little girl. He hugged all around the table and had a smile on his face, and it made me very happy.

3 years

3 years (or almost three years) of singing Swing Low every single night seem to have come to a close. He no longer requests a song every single evening. 

Tonight he called to us after bedtime asking for his (stuffed) otter and his "best friend," a small stuffed dog. 

When reading the excellent James Thurber story, "Many Moons," he asked what the horns of a dilemma are. I explained that it's like asking do you want a cookie or a donut--a really hard decision (of course, in the process I discovered his unequivocal ranking of sweet things: 1) lollipop 2) donut 3) cookie). Or trying to decide whether to go to the park or the library. He seemed to understand. He said, "Like when Miss N (his babysitter) asked me whether I wanted to go to the park or the library." Me: "Yes, which did you go to?" The kid: "First the park, and then the library. ... And if a di-llama comes to me in the night, I will scare him away." 

I can't get a word in anymore. That is probably the most exhausting part of parenting--just trying to have a conversation with my husband. 

This morning I laid out his clothes and he got dressed by himself--all except one shoe. Truly incredible. 

3 years, 1 month

"Are you really serious?" "That smells terrible!" Some of the cute sayings we hear all the time. 

He's getting really good at puzzles. I'm in awe.

I thought he's just skipped the whole tantrum thing altogether. No such luck. Crying and whining is now the default when he's displeased. 

He is full of helpfulness: Whenever someone has a problem, the kid has a solution. For instance, we were having connectivity issues with his grandparents on skype, "Nana, Papa, you should probably push a button on your computer!" Thanks, kid. Thanks. 

3 years, 2 months

He's found his will. Unfortunately it sometimes disagrees with mine. He's also discovered the delight of teasing/torturing one's mother. New adventures await. 

He just called his pants his "leg sleeves."

He often spontaneously tells me thank you for helping him. Very sweet. The other day, though, he said, "Thanks, mom." Who traded my baby for a teenager?''

Evidently he told his teachers at school about advent. He told Francisco, "I told my teacher about advent. She said, "Huh?" What does, "huh" mean?"

He told me what nocturnal means. And woke up the other morning talking about how butterflies "myburnate," which means they stay awake all winter. 

3 years, 3 months

For St. Nick's day (December 6th), the kid is getting leftover candy from the town Christmas parade in his shoe. I think he's too young to notice. Also: The Christmas parade in small town America: llamas, sheep, and tractors, in addition to the regular old stuff. 

The kid made a comment the other day like, "Girls can't be firemen" or something to that effect. Still haven't found a woman firefighter to introduce him to (although I did read him the wikipedia page about women firefighters), but every time we come across a woman police officer, we shake her hand. 

So when he's interested in something, he asks nonstop questions. Space shuttles, asteroids, etc., aren't too bad. But right now he's interested in: Santa Clause, Rudolph, sleighs, The Grinch, etc. And answering 500 million questions about fiction is really exhausting. I mean, I'm glad he's experiencing the magic, but you can't just scientifically break down things that are made up!

The kid's latest imaginative play is dressing up as Santa and riding his sleigh and delivering presents. My mom has a Santa hat and he wears it non-stop. 

3 years, 4 months

Chester just finished his dinner and asked for cake. Then he started singing:

we won't go until we get some
we won't go until we get some 
so bring it right here

Chester loves Puff, the Magic Dragon (we have a book that is essentially the song, illustrated). He cries every time I read it, though. (I mean, it is a sad--and I find this very emotionally perceptive on his part.) I explain that growing up means you don't play with all your old toys anymore, and that even he will grow up some day. He protests, "I'll always play with my toys!"

4 comments:

Ilana said...

Oh my goodness he cries while reading P the M D!? And I'm sorry about starting the years of singing Swing Low, but I'm also sorry they're over.

Emily Hale said...

It's a great song--you shouldn't be sorry!

Hannah said...

Oh how similar kids are!! I laughed all the way through that because I can relate to every single thing! I find the talking/questions to be absolutely exhausting. Especially now that Harriet is just as much of a chatterbox as Zork. They talk at the same time. They get mad when the other interrupts them (hard not to butt in when the other is saying, "Um, well, um...um...uh...I....ummm...."). Whatever am I going to do when Baby Girl starts talking!?! (Oh! I haven't come up with an internet name for her yet. Hmm. Following Harriet's example, I read The Robe and The Once and Future King recently....so maybe Diana or Gwen....)

Oh look at how I just totally rambled all over your comments section. Ha!

Emily Hale said...

Yes! All of the ummm's! Like they must hold your attention until the words (finally!) come into their mind. I can't imagine doubling it!


Those are both cute names!