Sunday, February 11, 2007

Between a Yell and a Whisper



If I were to meet Carrie Bradshaw...

I would ask her to explore whether or not confrontation is effective. Is it just women opening their hearts to no purpose or is something important achieved?

I think that I confront rather passive-aggressively, like Carrie herself would probably do. I imagine that Charlotte would be a bit more bold because she would be more offended and just not take it. Miranda would be excessively abrasive, and I bet money that Samantha could pull off the sexy confrontation.

I was raised by a mother who insists that the less words one utters the better, and cites a Bible verse for it (I'm 90% sure that I drove her to this--my uncle euphemistically described me as a woman of many words). Isn't it just the appropriate amount of words that is ideal?

Deep down, I at least act like I think that confrontation is entirely pointless, except to give me a chance to vent. Do we do it selfishly to get what we want? Is it even possible to altruistically confront someone, caring more for the other person, or at least for the friendship, more than oneself?

1 comment:

John C. Hathaway said...

Good question. I would contend that we only confront for love of the other person, at least I do. Selfishness says, "Leave it alone. Be co-dependent."