Sunday, December 2, 2007

In Defense of Nostalgia



The delightful thing about Christmas is that it is a celebration of nostalgia, a time when nostalgia is encouraged or even commanded. Goodness gracious, when does it ever snow on Christmas? But when "White Christmas" plays, I'm sure that I've woken up to countless coverings of snow on Christmas. And sleigh bells? I can only remember them from the past if I draw on a communal memory that includes the memories of the dead, which were passed down to us in songs, among other ways.






The sun is shining, the grass is green,

The orange and palm trees sway.

I've never seen such a day,

But it's December the 24th

And I'm longing to be up north.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas,

Just like the ones I used to know,

Where the treetops glisten

And children listen

To hear sleigh bells in the snow.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas,

With every Christmas card I write,

May your days be merry and bright,

And may all your Christmases be white.


I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love

Even more then I usually do

And although I know it's a long road back

I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas

You can count on me

Please have snow and mistletoe

And presents under the tree

Christmas Eve will find me

Where the love light beams

I'll be home for Christmas

If only in my dreams

No comments: