Friday, March 28, 2008

Agrarians and Love Songs


Several weeks ago, one of my friends, known here as Whigwham, and I were discussing the Jordin Sparks song, "No Air," which includes the repeating lines, "Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air / Can't live, can't breathe with no air / That's how i feel whenever you ain't there." My friend posed a very interesting question--can agrarianism make sense of modernity as expressed in love songs? He writes,

What I was getting at more, though, was the specifically *modern* love song. I wouldn't deny that the agrarian world is capable of love songs -- on the contrary, I think bluegrass has some of the most moving love "poetry" in the musical world. What I'm getting at with the modern love song is the love song that is borne from the devastatingly lonely position the (post)modern finds him/herself in. Without the social structures in place, one is subject to the temptation to invest all of ones relational potential into romantic love. Moreover, given the truncation of being, and the corresponding lack of transcendence, not only does the modern invest all human attachment in romantic love, but he/she injects the divine pull into the mix. I think this might offer a partial account of the interesting love/worship song genre. Certainly, love songs have always imaged divine love (e.g., Song of Songs), but nowadays you seem to get love songs that actually make *more* sense as worship. This Chris Brown song might be an example -- one might think that in the past one would refer to God as that being which is analogous to such a basic need as breath.

So the desperate situation of the modern leads to the unique scope of the modern love song. And, then, because the modern expects too much from romantic love, the consequences of lost love become even more tragic. And this is what I think the agrarian view (or any view which attempts to transplant extinct social structures) has to be able to account for (but I don't think can). Can the existence (and appreciation?) of the modern love song be grounded on agrarian premises?

1 comment:

whigwham said...

this is such pretentious hogwash.