Friday, May 23, 2008

Dinner Party.2


Lenore: "I resent your being gone this weekend, because I'm having a dinner party this weekend and we need equal numbers of men and women, and, truly, it's difficult to find appropriate single men for dinner parties."

Whigwham: "I'm sorry; I have to go to the wedding of my roommate from when I lived in the state with the most misguided ego. ... Hold on a second! I've been at dinner parties at your house where you've been the only woman present."

Lenore: "Well, yes. You see if you can't throw a dinner party and invite all (or mostly all) men, you absolutely must be certain that there are equal numbers of men and women at the least."

It's true. As usual, Whigwham is right (I really only like him when he's arguing on my side as a result of his propensity to be right).

This made me think back to the dinner party to which he referred (it occurred some time ago). It was brave of me really--I invited a gentleman friend who I'd just stopped seeing as well as a gentleman friend I was hoping to begin seeing (incidentally, this was thwarted by his beginning to see a friend of mine; unbelievable, I know!), as well as all of the other men in my acquaintance (admittedly an exaggeration as there isn't room for all of those men at our dinner table). Thankfully, the first boy couldn't come. Problematically, the second boy was a vegetarian (!), and, as my cooking style comes from my mother, and before that from Germany, it is pretty predictably a type of meat (for ages it was chicken; lately it's been pork), a vegetable (for ages it was eggplant; Myrrh: "Remember the time when you used to cook eggplant at every meal." Beware: it hasn't entirely ended.), and a starch and lots of it. So I can't imagine that he was very full on a starch and a vegetable. Note my restraint here in not questioning his manliness as a result of his aversion to meat and me.

This makes me remember the meal in which I thought it was a good idea to make Eggplant Parmesan and Chicken Parmesan. At the time it seemed like a brilliant idea of foods that would go well together. That is like a poet using the same word to end two lines; I mean, of course it rhymes...because it's the same word. In retrospect, it was one of the poorer ideas I've had. Although, there were lots of boys present (surprise!) and they did like the eggplant, which was rather gratifying.

No comments: