Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pennsylvania: The Bible and Beer


Driving through Pennsylvania last week was a delight, as it always is. This time I noticed, in addition to the rolling green hills and the motorcycles, which were all over, I guess due to the fact that it was Memorial Day (motorcyclers evidently adore Memorial Day. Additionally, I noticed that they give a salute that involves waving their hand down from their side. Moreover, while I do not find grocery shopping to be a romantic activity, I do actually think that motorcycling is pretty romantic. Finally, my mother drove a motorcycle when she was young, not because she was a leather-wearing hippie chick, but rather because she was the only girl in her family. I'm proud of this about her.), the advertisements.


There were some fabulous ads that show the Bible-believingness of PA, in addition to the beer-drinking German roots. These include the Smirnoff ad that maintained (with layers and layers of irony) that "Parties cannot live on beer alone," the bold and true Yuengling ad, "Yuengling. Lager's first name," and an ad for the amazingly named, "Holy Spirit Hospital."

No comments: