Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Quotes

"You give me an apple; I'll give you my heart." --Slovak tea towel for hanging on the wall.

"A guest to this house is the Lord to this house."--sums up Slovak hospitality (also on a Slovak tea towel). More on this at another time. Or several other times.

"Let me show you my butterfly collection." --what a Slovak man says to a woman to get her into his bedroom (no actual butterfly collection need exist).

"Let me invite you." --What Slovaks say to indicate that they want to pay for the activity. We only have the much more vulgar, "Let me pay," as far as I know.

"Let's change the place." --I noticed this in both Poland and Slovakia. This was appropriate when moving from dinner to a bar or from one bar to another bar. Occasionally we would also coffee shop hop. That is false.

"Let's go stand in the shadow." --We would say, "shade"; I sort of prefer shadow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it false to coffee shop hop?

Emily Hale said...

Coffee shop hopping is perfectly true, just in a postmodern way--it can be true for you, but it just isn't yet true for me.

At least you could figure out which character you are--Warren couldn't.

Anonymous said...

It's just that I don't think "true" and "false" can be applied to accomplished facts. I mean, if I did something, then it is true.

Actually Warren told me who I was...