Thursday, October 2, 2008

Brick House

"You aren't going to talk that way to me in this house."

"We aren't going to put up with that in this nation."

In the first few times (okay, fine, first few years) I came home from college, my parents and I had disagreements that ended with: "Not in this house!" I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same phrase in church (they call our church "this house," too). It strikes me as a uniquely Pentecostal or fundamentalist way of putting things. I've wondered and wondered why this is the case.

I have no answer. I mean, I have the beginnings of an answer, but it's so undeveloped that I'm not going to give it. But I did notice these and other Pentecostalism-isms from Palin tonight. Ones I caught:

"So that they shall do the same, telling our children and our children’s children about back in the day.." (beautiful move from religious rhetoric to down home rhetoric)

"From any country that would seek to destroy Israel"


"Wipe off the face of the earth"


"Those who destroy what we stand for"

"Rear that head of abuse"


"revelation"


"That wasn’t going to happen in my state"
'
"The good work that he is committed to"

Perhaps these phrases/words are in common use? For me, they certainly have a religious connotation.

1 comment:

Nicholas said...

There are some noticeable King James-isms in there, though I don't remember if Pentecostals are among the KJV-only Protestants. It does read like standard American religious English.