Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dinner Party.4

One of the comps rules is that I can only have dinner parties with famous people. I interpret "famous" to include a professor friend, in whose honor we dined (we being Napa and Percy and The Professor and one of his students, who is a libertarian studying abroad in Italy in the spring and counting Italian 101 as a government credit--clever, clever girl!). The Professor discoursed well and moderately about Sarah Palin, the economic crisis, architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright intended his buildings to fall down?!), movies, the need for everyone to take up childbearing and smoking immediately (as in, this weekend). He also offers the most palatable apology for technology that I ever hear. As far as I can tell, he is one of the wisest people alive.

Unfortunately, there was nothing too dramatic--the getting-our-guests-stuck-in-the-bathroom gig is getting a bit old and is no longer really that funny. Additionally, although the ladyfingers that I made for the tiramisu were flat instead of tall, you couldn't tell too much. Plus, you could mix tiramisu all together in a blender and serve it as a milkshake and it would still be the most wonderful thing imaginable. When I was in Poland this summer, and the server brought out tiramisu for dessert on night, my face evidently lit up beyond description; that was when I realized that it's something I really like and purposed to make it as soon as possible (now being that).

Plus, technically, the broccoli was supposed to be broccoli with red peppers, but the only thing that the grocery store had was green peppers. I'm sure this cut down significantly on the aesthetic value of the dish. Also, I made your bulgar dish, Diana--this ranks as one of my favorite things. Oh--one quality comment of the evening:

Emily: "Whole foods has singles nights!" (meaning you go there to meet other single people)

Percy: "Wait, like, you get a discount if you don't have a girlfriend?" (possibly he was excited...)

Sometimes I think it would be great fun to make a blog that parodies this one, and shows me disheveled in the kitchen, covered with flour or dough or what not, dirty dishes everywhere, with very little idea what I'm doing.

No comments: