Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 6, Keats and Hobbes

When I have Fears that I May Cease to Be


By John Keats

When I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,
Before high-piled books, in charactery,
Hold like rich garners the full ripen'd grain;
When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour,
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
Of unreflecting love;--then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till love and fame to nothingness do sink.



In our discussion of Hobbes's politics being founded on a fear of violent death, one of the boys in my section (his hair is dyed a little red and for about the first four weeks, he wore the same orange and black and yellow pair of shorts) posed a challenge to Hobbes: "Where I live in northern California, there are the most Great Whites. Basically, South Africa is the only place that even comes close to rivaling it. But I would rather be killed by a Great White than maimed. What would Hobbes do with that?"

I had no answer.

Well, I basically have no love for Hobbes. Not that I exactly have love for Keats's answer to the fear of death, either. But it is a beautiful poem.

1 comment:

FLG said...

Hobbes's politics is founded on a fear of violent death at the hands of another human being, not an animal.

Man is the political animal, not Great Whites. Fear of great whites has zero relevance to the right ordering of a society.