Monday, June 8, 2009

Mensch




















Goodness gracious, this film is a little bit painful: you have to deal with a lot of anguish as Fran learns what she needs to look for in a man before you get to the (admittedly very charming) last lines:

Baxter: "You hear what I said, Miss Kubelik? I absolutely adore you."
Fran: "Shut up and deal."

Baxter is a guber who cooks tv dinners for himself (when he's not straining spaghetti with a tennis racket) and is adorably romantic ("Ya know, I used to live like Robinson Crusoe; I mean, shipwrecked among 8 million people. And then one day I saw a footprint in the sand, and there you were").

But it's very happy at the end--the two who get took all the time find each other and stop getting took.

2 comments:

Margaret E. Perry said...

i LOVE this movie. but you shouldn't have given away the ending.

Myrrh said...

Emily is HORRIBLE about giving away endings to movies, because she always wants you give them away to her. Have you ever watched a movie with her? Every few minutes: "wait, why did he do that?" "Is he bad?" "Are they going to end up together?" "He's not going to die, is he?"

And she wants you to answer them!

Frankincense and I refuse to tell her what comes next. Sometimes Warren does, and then I yell at him.