Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stearns: Fairly typical classroom conversations

Me, to 9th grade girl: "I like your makeup--you wear blush very nicely."

9th grade girl: "Oh, Miss Stearns, I just love your eyelashes. I can't stop looking at them when you are teaching. It's really distracting actually. They're just so pretty.... (trailing off)... I hope that wasn't creepy."


Later that day, in Latin class:

7th grade girl 1: Miss Stearns, that's the outfit you wore the first day of school.

7th grade girl 2: But she had different shoes on.

7th grade girl 3: I like the skirt you wore the second day of school--the tan one with little flowers.

Sensible, tomboyish 7th grade girl 4: Tempus fugit, Miss Stearns....

2 comments:

Frankincense said...

Oh my. Try teaching first graders, though--they don't get that it is creepy. Last week I forgot that we were having a school colors day. Most people were wearing jeans and yellow shirts (our colors are blue and gold); I was wearing a purple dress and a blue necklace. The first graders walked into class and immediately started stroking my dress, playing with my necklace, etc.

One little girl: Oh, Miss Frankincense, you look so pretty, I love your necklace!

Another girl: Oh you look like a princess!

Little boy, to himself: She does look like a princess.


That being said, I am very grateful that my kids aren't with it enough to notice when I repeat clothing!!!!

Myrrh said...

Haha... I know exactly how this goes. No fashion model's clothing was ever under more scrutiny than a young teacher of teenage girls!

Just wait until you get to the point when you look at a cute top in the store and think, "Ooh, my girls would like this!" And then buy it. Because your students will like it.