Thursday, January 13, 2011

Georgetown v. Pitt

Last night Stearns and I went to see #22 Georgetown play #5 Pitt, for what I thought would be a really great game (especially given my attachment to both schools--ever since Chevy Troutman left my highschool to play at Pitt, my whole family has been a fan/s). I wore my new Georgetown shirt, although I wasn't quite sure who to cheer for. But when we arrived at the Verizon Center, it was clear: you gotta cheer for Georgetown. This was, in the end, a mistake: Georgetown looked terrible and got killed. We were behind between 13-22 points for the whole game. Pitt looked amazing.

Perhaps particularly McGhee, who is, without exception, the buffest man I've ever seen playing college basketball. It looked sort of painful when he lifted his arms over his head to shoot foul shots. And boy, he hustled.




Regardless of the loss, all of my favorite parts of a Georgetown basketball game were present: I love it at the beginning when they turn the lights down low, turn the music up, and hit the spotlights to announce the players. This year the student section waved glowing towels, which looked like fireflies from the nosebleed section. I tried to take a picture, but you can barely tell.


My second favorite part of the game is when they bring Jack, the Georgetown bulldog out, and he grabs a box representing the other team in his mouth ferociously (I like this sentence better without commas and all of the grammatical ambiguity associated with their lack). This week, Jack had on a preppy gray-and-white striped Georgetown sweater. How appropriate! As Stearns said at the end of the evening (at our May of Teck gathering), "A bulldog is what you get when you take a regular-sized dog and compress it."

Awesomely, there were present two "Georgetown Human Beings"--just like the one from Community! The Georgetown version was half gray and half blue.




(picture, picture)

No comments: