Monday, July 18, 2011

The Renwick

I visited the Renwick Gallery this weekend. The building itself--which housed Washington DC's first art gallery--is my favorite style, Second Empire:


The museum now bills itself as housing American crafts and decorative arts. While this is usually one of my favorite parts of any museum, I wasn't impressed with the Renwick's collection. There was a big room full of American paintings, displayed in the European style--all stacked on top of each other. Then there was a lot of contemporary conceptual art, stuck in with arts and crafts, I guess, since it wasn't painting; one was a grandfather clock covered with a white blanket and titled, "Ghost Clock." Then there was some super contemporary arts and crafts--some stained glass that, whatever its technical merit, had figures that looked like scary cartoons, and some tableware that looked like it was trying to disguise its real use.


But I did like the flatware, although the spoons above remind me of pizza cutters.


Here, unrelatedly, are some pictures of a pretty monument I encountered:

Link

(picture)

No comments: