Friday, December 23, 2011

Wishful Thinking

Hopkins, over at Ten Thousand Places, posts a number of wonderful gift guides each advent. In that spirit, I give you my own wish list (emphasis on "wish"):

1. Elizabeth Bishop's Merida from the Roof:

I think that this was my favorite picture from the exhibit. Somehow I weirdly forgot to take a picture of this one. It doesn't look anything like this picture above. In the real thing the houses pop with color, especially the neon yellow one in the upper right corner, which almost sparkles. The loads of windmills are dreamlike (and clearly the perfect picture to own to declare your own environmentalism!).

I have a suspicion that all of the pictures from the exhibit are for sale (the horror!). I mean, this would be great news if I had the means to purchase one of them, but it is terrible news, given that I anticipate never having those means. I'm not sure how much they cost, as I gather it's gouache to write the price down somewhere.

2. Jadeite dishes:


I'm in love: it's the color, and the fact that it's vintage. And I'd like loads and loads of it. (I also love green hobnail milk glass.)

3. All of Laurie Colwin's books, signed:


In case it hasn't been already evident on this blog, Laurie Colwin is my favorite writer ever. In fact, I'm not quite sure how I would've made it through this last year without her. Even better: a Laurie Colwin letter!

4. A green Oscar de la Renta gown. Any green Oscar de la Renta gown. This one is still my favorite (but I've never seen him do green wrong):


5. A little two-person convertible so I can drive up and down Route 1 in California with a scarf in my hair and some sparkly sunglasses and probably a green gown:



(picture, picture,
picture, picture)

No comments: