Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas in New York


After the Elizabeth Bishop exhibit and a burger at Kennedy's, we ran off to see The Messiah at Fisher Hall, which I understand is known for having problems with its acoustics. The Messiah is such a lovely advent meditation. It's my goal to go every single year; I'm pretty sure that this is only my second year to make it.

Fisher Hall is surprisingly plain. We had seats in the boxes on the sides and our hosts lent us fancy opera glasses so we could see the soloists (or check out the other audience members...). The only problem with the concert was the two of the soloists had colds and one left in the middle (there was no replacement!). Either way, it took my back to childhood Christmases where we listened to a tape of The Messiah while dancing around the play room.




On Sunday we did a good bit of walking across Central Park on the way to and from the Frick, a wonderful 5th Avenue art gallery. (The picture above reminds me of a Brueghel, if Brueghel painted in a big city.)


The Frick was wonderful. Because of Hopkins' rave reviews, I've been wanting to go for a while. Unfortunately we didn't go together, but I'll go back with you, Hopkins!


It was quite possible the most beautifully arranged and presented art I've ever seen. The mansion is beautiful; the rooms are exquisitely decorated; and the artworks compliment each other. It's the closest thing to a European palace that I've ever seen in America.


This painting of Sir Thomas Moore is one of the Frick's most famous. He's displayed across the room from Oliver Cromwell and they sort of glower at one another. The description on that phone thing that they give you is so funny: the man in the phone says that the fur and the velvet make you weak in the knees.


When walking through Central Park, our host carries a speaker so that he can enjoy the music. This meant that we were led through Central Park by a man wearing an orange hunting cap holding a speaker that was playing opera. It was definitely a moment that made you feel like you're in a movie.


I was really taken by all of the Christmas tree stands that lined the blocks and were, according to our host, manned by Canadians who sleep in little shelters near their trees.


We also hit the typical tourist spots--5th Avenue and Rockefeller Center, all the buildings decked out in their Christmas splendor (Oh my goodness--I was thrilled to go into the gorgeous Art Deco 30 Rock building!). And small town girl that I am, I was thoroughly shocked and appalled by the half-dressed models in the store windows (not pictured).


This is my favorite picture of all.


Last, but not least: here's the view from the window of our hosts' apartment. Moments like these make me feel like the richest person alive.


(picture, picture, picture, picture)

1 comment:

hopkins said...

oh, miss hale, this post made me so happy. we are definitely going back to the frick. it's been three years since i was there!!!