Thursday, January 5, 2012

San Francisco


We started our visit to San Francisco at the Legion of Honor museum, which is a lovely art museum on a hill with great views of the San Francisco bay.


The museum had an interesting exhibit of Camille Pissarro's work, called "Pissarro's People," connecting his art to his anarchist political positions. Actually, I was thinking that the Front Porch Republic people might really like him--the exhibit emphasized the way that he drew laborers (often agricultural laborers) in order to emphasize the dignity of their work. He compared their work in the fields to his work painting. In a series of pictures smuggled out of France, he drew the threats of capitalism. In his paintings toward the end of his life, he painted a heaven-like utopia of people working in golden fields.


After the Legion of Honor, we drove down into the city.


I can safely say that in the day we spent in San Francisco, I smelled exponentially more pot than I've smelled in the rest of my life combined (and I've spent time in Amsterdam!). (Early in the day, I said, "What's that smell? It smells sort of like a skunk." Pot.)


Lemon bars.

No comments: