Friday, January 6, 2012

San Francisco.2 (New Year's Eve)


The rest of the afternoon we spend wandering around San Francisco, before meeting Hopkins for church and dinner. It was wonderful to see Hopkins in her natural environment.


And what a wonderful natural environment! I was amazed by all of the clothes hanging out the windows in Chinatown.


Wandering and taking pictures is my favorite way to get a feel for a city. And boy, did we get a feel for San Francisco--particularly for the ubiquitous hills. I felt those hills in my calves and shins for days.


A hummingbird just came out of nowhere when I was taking pictures! But I saw it later sitting on a branch of a bush. I didn't think that they were supposed to be able to sit down.


The weather was lovely--absolutely clear and sunny, with blue, blue water. It was strange though--when you're in the sun, you're warm; when you're in the shade, you're a little cool; when you're walking up a hill, you're absolutely hot. It was sort of dizzying.


The architecture was delightful--there were bay windows everywhere, curving in and out in rhythms along the streets (reminding me of the constant up and down of the streets).


We managed to stay in San Francisco until the midnight New Year's fireworks, which was no small feat, considering that that's 3 a.m. East Coast time.

No comments: