Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Philadelphia's Magic Gardens of Stearns' Visit.2


Philadelphia's Magic Gardens is a huge area that is entirely covered with mosaics, both indoors and outdoors, on South Street. It is the work of Isaiah Zagar, who has also designed other murals throughout the city.

It's amazing because every little corner is covered with tiles, mirrors, bicycle wheels, pottery, statues, etc.


It's very Philadelphia--I've never seen art like this in any other city.


 I've been passing this place for years and have always wanted to go inside, so I'm glad that Stearns agreed to go with me.
 

 I wouldn't say that the mosaics are beautiful, but they sure are interesting. They incorporate some religious imagery, a lot of international folk art, and a lot of broken things are normally thrown away.
 

 I love all of the glass--it reminds me of Roxaboxen.


4 comments:

Diana said...

Funny, the gardens do not remind me of your mother's baking...

Emily Hale said...

What?! You have to explain this more! I'm intrigued!

Lewis McCrary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Reminds me a bit of Barcelona