Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ramblings

A very catchy song came on the radio the other day--Pitbull's "Give Me Everything":

"Tonight I will love love you tonight
Give me everything tonight
For all we know we might not get tomorrow
Let's do it tonight
I will love love you tonight
Give me everything tonight
For all we know we might not get tomorrow
Lets do it tonight"

Incidentally, I heard about Pitbull for the first time last weekend, when I was at an excellent Mardi Gras party at the house of several of my friends. And where I was delighted to learn that Wendell, one of the blogs oldest readers, still reads this blog. Anyway, that song strikes me as a contemporary reiteration of the theme of Andrew Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress":

"Had we but world enough, and time,
This coyness, lady, were no crime."

Marvell goes on to talk about vegetable love (best line) and time's winged chariot hurrying near. And how she needs to sleep with him tonight (more or less).

And it reminds me of Robert Herrick's "To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time":

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
    Old time is still a-flying :
And this same flower that smiles to-day
    To-morrow will be dying."

Of course, Herrick's poem is more about hurrying up to get married. Which reminds me of the old, depressing song, which I know from Eva Cassidy singing it:

"When I was younger
The boys all came around
But now I'm older
And they've all settled down
Control your mind my girl
And give your heart to one
For if you love all men
You'll be surely left with non."

Goodness gracious--all of these things are subtly threatening! And I really don't believe in cajoling people to sleep with you based on "we might not get tomorrow."

No comments: