Sunday, May 27, 2012

Omaha

During a recent quick trip to Nebraska, I got to spend a bit of time in Omaha's Old Market neighborhood, which is a charming conglomeration of restaurants and shops in old warehouses, joined by cobblestone streets.


I ran into sort of a lot of very weird stuff in Omaha: 1) Ted and Wally's orange coffee spice ice cream. Which was incredibly delicious, although counter-intuitive.
 

2) A real-live Cinderella carriage--I mean wrought iron and round and transparent, lined with lights. You need a ball gown to ride in that thing! (Or to be a bunch of teenage girls.)


3) An old man on a harmonica and a young man on a guitar. I'm not sure if they just picked up playing together impromptu-ly, but it was an odd pairing.



4) This one was not weird at all, actually: There was a man in a cowboy hat and boots sitting on a bench, strumming his guitar, looking like he was the most natural thing in the world. I mean, he just looked like everywhere he went he must take his guitar with him and play beautifully.


5. This statue of liberty looking out an apartment window (below).



Omaha was incredibly laid back--it made me feel like I must have become a big city girl somewhere in the last five years. I felt like everyone was moving too slowly and talking too much.


2 comments:

Diana said...

Way to photograph the people! Your descriptions make me feel like I've visited, or at least like I'd know what to expect if I did visit. (What did you think of it??)

Emily Hale said...

Ha! It's easier when they're far away! Well--you would at least know what to expect if you visited at night:)