Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Random Occurrences

~ When I was driving from Williamsport to DC the other day, I stopped in a little antique store in Allenwood. I was chatting with the proprietor for a little while about various topics, including local politics and the store's lovely tin ceiling (it used to be the town's bank). When he left, he said, "If I didn't have a longtime girlfriend, I would beg you to have dinner with me."

As a recent article about exploring Chicago while single recounts,

As I slid onto a stool, from which I would order a glass of Gosset Grand Blanc de Blanc, a dark-haired stranger turned to me.
“I love your dress,” he said.
Was it a come-on? Or just another friendly comment?
In Chicago, you never know.
 In Allenwood, you never know. 

~ When Francisco and I were in line the other day for the Market Lunch's breakfast "brick" (sausage, egg, cheese and potato all on a sandwich--I can't recommend it strongly enough--except that the line to get it is really, really long), the owner, Tom Galaway or some such cliche-ly Irish sounding name, was ringing us up. I ordered the cheese grits (since they were so divine at the Casa Monica and I can't get them out of my head). He asked if I'd ever had the special that they were offering--grits with green chili peppers and Parmesan. I hadn't, and it didn't sound good to me, so I gave him a look of amazement and repulsion. In the end, he convinced me to try them anyway, and I didn't like them as much as regular grits. Anyway, when we finished checking out he shook his head at Francisco as if to sympathize with the hardship of his life and said, "Good luck." Meaning with me!

~ When I was in my university's grad lounge today, two older men walked by and stopped to chat (which, incidentally, basically never happens). They said that they had gotten their Ph.D.'s there in the mid-70s. They were coming back to check the print copies of their dissertation, because one had stuck a twenty dollar bill in it after he printed it out in order to be able to tell if anyone ever looked at it. One mentioned that when he arrived for his dissertation defense, he noticed that there were glasses with sherry already poured in them, so he wasn't too nervous. Now I'm not a big sherry drinker, but I'm pretty sure that this is a tradition that needs to be revived. Also: back in their day, you got to pick two members of your committee; the other two were chosen for you by the department! Unbelievable!

No comments: