Friday, June 8, 2012

St. Augustine at Night


I don't really know how to take pictures at night--I guess there's probably some special setting, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, I wanted to show these less than aesthetically perfect pictures of St. Augustine at night, because it's how I saw it when I arrived. And I think St. Augustine at night is full of incredibly seductive charm.


That's my hotel, with the moon rising behind it. (Casa Monica--I'm dying to know if the name has anything to do with Augustine's mother. Probably not, but one can hope. Anyway, if there's one thing that the hotel taught me, it's that I cannot live without a king bed with an enormous velvet headboard. It's simply a must-have.) There are tons of live oaks draped with Spanish moss in St. Augustine; at night, Spanish moss looks incredibly eerie.


The dramatic light and shadows on the concrete walls also gave a film noir feel to the city.

No comments: