Thursday, September 6, 2012

Buff Jesus


From the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, which Stearns and Francisco and I visited with #1tomatolover last week.

There is a lot that I don't think is very pretty there (such as the artwork on the sides, whose thick black lines always remind me of comic book drawings), but there are a couple of things I love:

a) The Pentecost rotunda near the front, with a lovely pattern of little tongues of fire (way better than that sentimental rose pattern of the Baltimore Basilica [and of the Capitol, for that matter]). 

b) The side chapel collection of different Mary's.

c) The three little apses (I think?) that have five pictures in each, following the Joyful Mysteries, the Sorrowful Mysteries, and the Glorious Mysteries. The best part is: each picture has below it a picture of something in the Old Testament that foreshadowed it. Some things just hit you more in art than they do with words.

No comments: