Saturday, September 29, 2012

Friends

While the St. Louisians that I've met so far have been incredibly welcoming, the fact is, there's no one here who I've known for longer than 1 month--most people here don't really know the first thing about me. Mostly because we likely disagree on many points of religion and politics, so I don't bring them up. I have to tell you, if you take religion and politics out of my conversational repertoire, I don't come out as one of the more interesting people you've ever met.

No one has known me longer than a month, that is, except for my friend, Norleans, and her husband; I've known Norleans since my Texas days, long ago, where she was like an older sister to me and calmed me down (read: laughed at me) when I was worried that a small bump on the back of my head was cancer. They live with her husband's son, and their 3-week-old baby girl (who I've gotten to meet three times already--it's amazing to watch her change and grow each time). And they are such wonderful people. They invited me to join them for ice cream tonight at one of St. Louis' famed frozen custard places. And since the only thing I had scheduled was a hot tv-watching date with Francisco (long distance relationships are incredibly sad animals*), I happily agreed.

On our way there, Norleans and her husband said, "This is the first family outing with all five of us"--I'm family for the year. What in the world more could you want from a friend? This is a time where I certainly need a midwest family, and I'm happy to be adopted.


*I love the internet--here are helpful tips for long distance dating. Gosh--the amount of games that these people play online--crosswords, scrabble, chess--it sounds depressing. 

3 comments:

Miriel said...

I keep meaning to tell you: I'm coming to St. Louis in a couple of weeks! It would be great to see you.

Emily Hale said...

Ah--yes! What are you coming for? When? I would love to see you. Email me all the details:) Sometime. It sounds like you're busy!

hopkins said...

this is so lovely.